Tuesday 28 August 2012

Stopping Time



It seems that stopping clocks cannot stop time.
I tried it just this morning. Tick, then tock
(you know what’s coming next: another tick,
another tock; repeat until the end
of time). ‘Remove the battery’, said a thought.
‘Stop time’. The irritating din I thus
un-dinned, allowing me some silence. Tick,
then tock. Another ticking clock to stop?
‘Remove the battery’, said a thought. ‘Again?’
I thought. The irritating din I thus
un-dinned, allowing me some silence. Tick,
then tock. ‘How many clocks does one room need?’
I thought. Not three (you might imagine three
was quite sufficient; you’d be wrong), but six.

How many ticks and tocks will leak from
not just one but six clocks? Five too many; five.
I’ll spare you all the details, save to say
that some time later, all the clocks were stopped.

Returning to the task in hand (a poem),
I sat in clockless silence; tickless, tockless
tranquillity. The poem wrote itself,
as poems often do, and when that final
impression on the paper had been made,
I looked towards the mess of clocks upon
the dresser. Tick, they didn’t go, nor tock;
and though I had forgotten all about
the time, forgotten every second, let
each minute pass, unnoticed, into hours,
until a morning had been lost to writing,
I saw that time had quite forgotten all
those clocks, and moved towards its destination,
regardless of the absence of clock motion.

It seems that stopping clocks cannot stop time,
‘though writing makes it vanish altogether
(if only for a morning). You should try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment