Friday 25 July 2014

The William Blake Rhyming Dictionary for Impressionable Rock Stars

fire noun ooh, baby I’m on fire: the acceptable rhyme is ‘desire’, e.g. “With a red guitar on fire/Desire(U2, Desire),I burn like fire/This burning desire(U2, I Still Haven’t Found the Rhyme I’m Looking For); unacceptable rhymes are ‘deep-fat fryer’ and ‘tumble-dryer’, e.g. “With a red guitar on fire/Deep-fat fryer (sic)”, “I burn like fire/This burning tumble-dryer (sic).” Avoid ‘higher’ as this is a cliché (see all other entries).

[NB While they ring round the same unvary'd chimes,
With sure returns of still expected rhymes.
Where-e'er you find the cooling western breeze,
In the next line, it whispers thro' the trees;
If crystal streams with pleasing murmurs creep,
The reader's threaten'd (not in vain) with sleep
.

Alexander Pope Essay on Criticism]

No comments:

Post a Comment