Wednesday 1 October 2014

This Much

for George and Joanna (04.10.2014)

More than a prisoner hates his cell,
More than a bully likes to shove,
Or the hypochondriac hates to be well,
That’s how much you I love.

I love you more than a dog can bark,
More than a cloud holds rain,
I love you more than the moon lights the dark,
And more than work is a pain.

As a bad comedian laughs at his jokes,
Or the sky likes to be blue,
As a bicycle wheel needs its spokes,
That’s how much I love you.

I love you more than a bird can sing,
And more than a banger won’t start,
I love you as much as a wedding needs a ring,
And more than a horse pulls a cart.

I swear to you by the world at large,
For everyone to see,
As a sensible soldier hates the word “Charge!”
That’s how you’re loved by me.

(after Nash)

No comments:

Post a Comment