Thursday 11 August 2016

A Rare Victory for the Pictures

for M.S. - thanks

Being a wordy bastard I’ve never really gone with the whole ‘a picture speaks a thousand words’ blah. I’ve often read a poem, though, and thought that it painted a thousand pictures, so, you know. There we have it. I haven’t really. I’m exaggerating. Two hundred pictures. Okay, seven.

And then I came across this image... 

















...and I just thought, ‘Ooh, that’s a bit fucking hell.’ 

Not because it's funny.

Not because it's surreal and absurd.

But because it explains adoption.

While managing to be funny, surreal and absurd.

It's the much more intelligent and educated 3rd cousin-once-removed of my favourite joke:

Q. How many adopted people does it take to change a light bulb?
A. None. It's best to keep them in the dark.

Anyway, I must thank an acquaintance who heroically runs an adoption Facebook group (of which I am an occasionally contributing member) for the image. She read my previous post ten times while sitting in Tescos car park. And then she messaged me: 'it says more in a few lines than books full of adoption analysis.'

Which is pretty much how I felt when I saw that picture. 


No comments:

Post a Comment