Tuesday 20 June 2017

Found


We crossed that border, you and I,
and found an unfamiliar land.

There were no signposts, milestones, maps,
just empty roads, and you and me.

We walked in wordless silence;
we walked until the darkness came.

I could not see you as I stumbled
towards a grey, unquiet sleep.

*

I stared at brick walls when I woke:
the curtains drawn, the door left open.

There were no mirrors to be seen;
there were no pictures, only frames.

Your absence made my heart a stone,
ice-water ran inside my veins.

I wandered through that house for years;
and wondered where it was you’d gone.

*

I left that place and crossed a border;
I found my own familiar land.

My blood returned, my heart grew back:
I made a new house with my love.

We painted walls; made shining mirrors;
our stories lit up laughing rooms.

And when we saw our home was built,
we fell into each other’s arms.

2 comments:

  1. if you've found that Fergus then i'm glad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some things I will never find, but love isn't one of them (although catastrophe is always waiting to release her guillotine, as you said elsewhere). I also feel very lucky to have found a mirror in you. Cheers to us - we understand.

    ReplyDelete